Sunday, November 23, 2008

My love for piano.


Esther Yang
11/23/08
Period 3: English
5:37
Words cannot describe how much I love piano. Piano is one of my favorite instruments. Peacefully listening to the sound of the piano keys slowly drilling into my ear is one of my favorite things to do when I'm all alone.

It's so funny though, because when I was 6 years old, I hated the piano. My first piano lesson was when I was 6 years old, and my teacher was a very rude, impatient lady. If I didn't practice, or if I played one key wrong... she'd start yelling at me, throwing the books down on the floor. She had obscenely high expectations, and wanted everything to be perfect. I mean, she tried to be nice and she was at times. It's just that her "strict" or mean side was to the extreme. I only lasted 6 months with her, and I quit. I didn't ever touch the piano for another 3 years.

When I was about 9, my parents got me my first piano. For some reason, I didn't hate the piano that time. I remember I walked up to the piano, and sat down attentively, trying to make a simple melody from my head. It was from that moment on... I really loved the piano. I discovered another one of my passions, and I realized how beautiful the piano was. I didn't ask my parents for private lessons, even though I knew inside their mind they were soon going to get a teacher for me.

Everyday after school, I would come home after violin or some other activity, and play piano. I listened to certain songs on the radio, and I played them by ear on the piano. I remember I even made up my own songs, not even knowing the certain notes to the keys. For a long time, I played the piano by ear, being able to play many songs all by myself, with no books, youtube piano tutorials, or etc. It took a lot of patience, and believe me... at times it was frustrating but I loved to do it. I taught myself how to play piano, and take in all the beauty the piano produced. I played the Original Cannon in E by Pachelbel, many piano sonatas and other classics, christmas songs, and a few Korean OST songs.
Every time I played the piano, inside my heart was filled with joy and excitement. I just can't explain the feeling. I felt warm, happy, and my facial expressions would change depending on the mood of the song. Haha, I remember when I would play sad/fierce/angry songs, my eyes were shut tight, and a slight frown would appear on my face. On the other hand, when I played happy, ecstatic songs, my lips would curve upward and my eyebrows would rise up at times. HAHA, I know... this is WEIRD! But when I played the piano, I really did feel as if I could fly, or spring high up into the air... probably from excitement or adrenaline.

I don't remember exactly... but I think I started taking lessons again in 5th grade or 6th grade. I caught up quickly with everything because I knew how to play, and I had experience with the violin. All I needed to learn were the notes, measurements, and etc. Piano was a joy for me. So far, with my piano experience I've had 3 teachers. [2 no longer my teachers, my 3rd one is my current one.] I've loved all my 3 piano teachers, even the 1st one, hahaha! In fact, sometimes... I wish I could've been more patient with my teacher. This is one thing I regret, looking at my past.
When I felt sad, angry, or even bored at times, I went up to the piano and played. It was just something that always filled me, when I felt empty.

I know I will always play piano my whole life. I will pass this on to my kids, my grandkids, and etc. because I want them to know the benefits of music, and how it can really change your life. I will play piano at my church, at special events, and whenever I can throughout my whole life! One of my life goals is to make a difference in this world, community, my surroundings, or anywhere/to anyone positively. I want to do this with what I have, with my passions. Piano would be one of them, and I don't know how I'm going to get there. But all I know is that, I want to bring music alive to people who have had no experience with it. So they can eventually discover what real music is, and the good things it can bring.

Piano will always be one of my main passions.

No comments: