Thursday, September 25, 2008

Something About Asian Parents

Esther Yang
9/25/08: 8:08 PM
Period 3: English

-This is not to offend anyone, just trying to make it sound funny, or as a joke. Please don't take this blog post personally, because it is not 100% true.

Asian parents are so much different from other american parents because of their totally different mindset. I feel that growing up with them makes you a totally different person. There are certain little things that they do that make a big difference between an asian american and all-american childhood.
They make you repeat every. single. thing. you say. and then spell it out, using words, preferably names. Example: "Dad, I'm going to Jennifer's house." "WHAT?!" "I'm going to jennifer's house." "You're going who, what?" "JENNIFER'S HOUSE!" "Who? spell her name." "J -e-n-n-i-f-e-r." "Ugh, j for jack, e for english, n for nose, another n for Norah, i for intelligence, f for five, e for eel, and r for river!" "Oh Esther! why don't you speak clearly!" Sigh.....
If you complain about anything, they always have a worse story from their childhood. I remember my friend once complained about how she hated drinking whole milk and her mom was like, "You should be thankful you even have milk! Back when I was young, there was such a shortage that we would be lucky if we had half a glass for our entire family! We almost had bone problems and we all had digestive problems, but there was only five bathrooms and seven children. Some of us were lactose intolerant too, so the toilets would get clogged and then--" jeez okay, okay. Life was hard. Don't need to get into the nitty gritty details there.
Personally, my parents aren't THAT different from American parents. The only thing that is similar to the things above regarding asian parents, is that when I complain about something, they always expand onto their past experiences and it just keeps on going on, and on, and on....
I don't know if this applies to ALL asian parents, it just seems common based on listening to my other asian friends' experiences too and even though these asian parent quirks can be somewhat annoying from time to time, i wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

royal cello :) said...

Well,
I am not Asian, neither are my parents. I have heard that Asian parents are like that though. I am sooo relieved my parents aren't like that (no offense of course)(talk about no privacy)!

Poco said...

I lol'd.


So hard.

That eggnog came out my nose.



... you need to clean that up. (If you don't recognize me, you're being a little dense.)